Winter

Adpot a hydrant!

We need your help! In the event of a fire emergency during the winter, could firefighters find the hydrant near your home? We need residents to ‘adopt a fire hydrant’ near their home and keep snow shoveled away from it during the winter season.

Please make it a point to uncover your fire hydrant after every snowfall. Clear a path approximately 3 feet around the hydrant. This gives the fire department room to work with this hydrant should the need arise.

bbe81f4f74913a119711294330d0c2daPlease consider helping a neighbor who is elderly or has a medical condition by shoveling out a hydrant in front of their home. This act of kindness will benefit the entire neighborhood.

Water is the principle agent used by the Fire Department to control and extinguish fires. Delays in locating and hooking-up to a fire hydrant can seriously hamper a fire suppression operation, raising the risk of injury and possibly resulting in additional property damage.

Thank you for keeping our community’s fire hydrants clear of snow and keeping our communities safe!

Space Heater Safety

Always keep the heater 3 feet away from drapes, bedding, clothing, furniture or other flammable materials.

* When buying a heater, look for one that has been tested and labeled by a nationally recognized testing company, such as Underwriter’s Laboratories Inc. (UL).

* Place the heater on a level surface away from areas where someone might bump into it and knock it over.

* Do not use extension cords with space heater.

* Space heaters are for temporary use only. Never leave a space heater unattended or running while you sleep. Always shut off when leaving the room or home.

* Supervise children and pets when a space heater is in use.

* Keep electric heaters away from water. Never use them near a sink or in the bathroom.

Carbon Monoxide – The Silent Killer

carbon-monoxide-deaths_1456097050584_879363_ver1-0_640_360

What’s the big deal?
Carbon monoxide poisoning is the number one cause of accidental poisoning deaths in North America. Carbon monoxide is a gas that you can’t see, smell or taste. Carbon monoxide dangers occurs more frequently during the colder months. Carbon monoxide comes from anything that burns fuels. Gas appliances like stoves, water heaters, furnaces, gas and wood fireplaces and gas dryers produce CO. Most of these appliances produce small amounts of CO in the home, however, greater quantities of CO can make you sick and possibly kill you. Inhaling carbon monoxide in large amounts can cause brain damage, suffocation, or death.

Warning signs
  • Dizziness
  • Headaches
  • Vomiting with nausea
  • Difficulty Breathing
  • Blurred Vision
  • Feeling Weak
  • Losing Consciousness
Protect yourself:
  • Install at least one carbon monoxide detector on every level of your home, especially outside sleeping areas.
  • Its recommended to have a qualified service technician inspect and clean your fuel-burning appliances, furnace, vent pipe and chimney flues once a year. Birds’ nests, twigs and old mortar in chimneys can block proper ventilation and lead to build-up of carbon monoxide gas in the home.
  • Test your carbon monoxide detector regularly to make sure it is operating properly.
  • If you alarm is 10 years old or older – its time to replace it.
  • Never use ovens or stoves to heat your home. Never use generators inside.

What should you do if the detector alarm sounds?
If the detector sounds, you and all members of your household should leave your home immediately. From outside the home, call 9-1-1. Don’t go back inside until the problem has been found and corrected. Fire Services will inspect your home to find the source of the carbon monoxide.

Holiday Safety Tips:

Cooking Safety:

0350cd7813ad8489fa3e2e8d3bea983c

  • Always keep a close eye on your kitchen stove. Never leave the house to “pick something up” at the grocery store while cooking.
  • Always have a fire extinguisher handy in the kitchen in the event of a fire.
  • Don’t use the stove when you are sleepy or have consumed large amounts of alcohol. Falling asleep with the stove on always spells trouble.
  • Keep combustible materials such as towels, paper products, curtains away from the stove while cooking.

 

Christmas Tree Safety

Christmas trees account for hundreds of fires each year. Typically, shorts in electrical lights or open flames from candles start tree fires. Remember, well watered trees are typically not a problem. A dry and neglected tree can put your family in danger.

christmas-tree-fire-safety

  • Selecting a Tree for the Holidays
    Needles on fresh trees should be green and hard to pull back from the branches, and the needles should not break if the tree has been freshly cut. The trunk should be sticky to the touch. Old trees can be identified by bouncing the tree trunk on the ground. If many needles fall off, the tree has been cut too long and, has probably dried out, and is a fire hazard.
  • Tree Safety Tips
    • Do not place close to a heat source such as a fireplace, heat vent.
    • Water your tree often!
    • Inspect holiday lights each year for damage to lights / wiring.
    • Do Not Overload Electrical Outlets
    • Do not leave holiday lights on unattended!
    • Use only Nonflammable Decorations
    • Don’t Block Exits with tree.